The Met is committed to welcoming audiences that reflect the diversity of New York City. Volunteers are a key partner in this mission, helping The Met create an inclusive environment where everyone can connect with art and find inspiration. We encourage people from all backgrounds and life experiences to apply to our volunteer programs. No experience is required, and training is offered for all programs. Volunteers perform a unique form of philanthropy that supports The Met and our visitors.
Why Volunteer at The Met?
- Be an ambassador for 5,000 years of global art by building personal connections and fostering community.
- Learn about The Met collection and exhibitions directly from curators, educators, and conservators.
- Meet people who share an interest in art and education.
- Attend free concerts and lectures (space allowing).
- Receive discounts at Met shops and restaurants.
Choose Your Volunteer Path
Museum Department Volunteer
Assist visitors at information desks and in the libraries, help with events and programs, or support curatorial and conservation staff.
Guided Tour Volunteer
Introduce school students (grades K–12) or adult visitors to The Met collection. Select and research artworks and engage visitors in one-hour conversations with the goal of making art relevant, meaningful, and inspiring. Lead tours in English or one of ten other languages.
Please check back: we’ll post new volunteer opportunities at The Met as they arise.
Health and Safety
The health and safety of Met staff and visitors is our top priority. All volunteers are expected to follow current COVID-19 safety protocols (please review the Visitor Guidelines).
Already a volunteer? Log in to schedule shifts, view announcements, and update your contact information.